Motif: A decorative image or design, especially a repetitive one forming a pattern.
Motif Furniture Upholstery specialise in all types of traditional and contemporary upholstery. Whether it be a old chair or a custom built sofa, Motif Furniture carry out each project with the highest level of detail.
Conveniently located on Williamstown Road Kingsville, Motif Upholstery has a strong local work base for Inner West businesses and residence. With a huge range of fabric samples in store, feel free to pop in and view the collections.
With a strong passion for mid-century furniture and art deco pieces, your furniture will be meticulously updated and rejuvenated.
Furniture upholstery is an age old craft and there’s no substitute for experience. Our dedicated team have the skills and understanding of furniture from antiques through to outdoor and commercial needs. Although fabrics and foams are an important part of contemporary upholstery, we also apply traditional techniques in restoring furniture with integrity and flair.
For more of our work visit our facebook page here.
Q: Are there charges for pickup and delivery? ?
ANSWER: Pick-up and delivery charges will be added to your account and will vary according to where you live. The charge may also be affected by the nature of the pick-up, for example, a ground floor pick up or delivery with your assistance may be cheaper than a multi-floor delivery requiring two Motif upholstery staff
Q: Can I have the timber in my furniture restored??
ANSWER: Your quote will usually cover a basic clean-up of your timber with a liquid furniture polish. There may also be some basic frame tightening and minor repairs which Motif may undertake.
However, if your furniture has significant structural damage or restoration needs then Motif upholstery will refer the piece to Glen Iris furniture restorer Andrew Phillips.
Q: Can I provide my own fabric??
ANSWER: Yes. Once you know the correct metreage you can provide your own fabric. Your metreage should allow for seaming, piping and pattern matching. Motif upholstery may ask to look at the fabric you would like to use. Some upholstering requires fabric that has sufficient stretch and will cut and sew appropriately.
Q: How do I receive a quote for new cushions or cushioning??
ANSWER: 1. For scatter cushions send an email with quantity, dimensions and filler type (polyfill, feather, feather and fibre), for example, “Six 45cm x 45cm scatter cushions with feather and fibre filling.”
2. For bench seating or new seats and backs for easy chairs and couches, email the dimensions and quantity required. A dimensioned sketch can also be helpful. We will respond with a quote and metreage plus some follow-up questions about foam density and the possible need for wrapping around the fillers..If the cushions are for an easy chair we may suggest that the frame of the chair be brought to Motif upholstery.
Q: How do I receive for a quote for my furniture upholstering??
ANSWER: There are three ways to receive a quote:
1. Bring your furniture, or a photo of your furniture, to our showroom during worktimes. We will give you an on-the-spot quote and an estimate of the fabric metreage you will require. 2. Send a couple of images of your furniture to james@Motiffurniture.com.au, we will respond within one working day with a quote and a metreage. To help us provide you with an accurate quote it is helpful if you can include some external measurements and a note on the condition of the foam and the webbing. Also indicate if the timber frame requires attention
3. If the first two options are not possible you can ask for an upholsterer to visit you at home.
Q: How do I select my fabric??
ANSWER: 1. From Motif upholstery: In its Kingsville showroom Motif upholstery has a wide range of fabrics from which you can select. Motif is very happy to help you match your fabric with your furniture pieces and your home interior. Once you have made your decision Motif upholstery will then order the fabric from the fabric house. For larger fabric orders Motif upholstery may ask you to pay upfront the cost of the fabric. This will form the basis of your deposit on your upholstering project.
2. From a fabric house You can select fabrics directly from a fabric house and Motif upholstery can give you a list of fabric houses which you may like to visit. Fabric houses will not sell you fabric directly so you should note the fabric series, name and colour so that Motif upholstery can order on your behalf
Q: How long will the upholstering take to complete??
ANSWER: Generally, Motif upholstery likes to complete work two to three weeks following the arrival of the fabric however this can be affected by a number of factors:
1. The availability and arrival time of the fabric. Many fabrics come from overseas and may take up to 3 weeks to arrive. Other fabrics may be unavailable prior to a new production run
2. The nature of the work. Generally, a three piece setting will take longer than a single dining chair or some scatter cushions.
3. The time of the year. There are peak production periods for Motif which may affect turnaround time. Periods prior to mid-year and Christmas are always busy.
4. The production schedule. The number of currently booked jobs will affect turnaround time.
72 A Williamstown Rd
Kingsville, Victoria 3012